Friday, February 22, 2013

weekend jams : new music edition

This week I wanted to feature some new releases from some older artists that I love(d). It's always interesting to see a band evolve from album to album, sometimes for the good and sometimes definitely for the bad.



First we've got a very old favorite, The Postal Service. I was a little obsessed with this band (same singer as Death Cab for Cutie, in case you weren't aware) in high school. They haven't had a new CD in ten years! I can't believe it -- this makes me feel so old. 
This new song is pretty decent... definitely sounds like classic The Postal Service. They have always been good, so I'm glad they haven't changed their sound much.



Next is Fall Out Boy. Another obsession from high school. This band used to be so different. I'm not sure what they are going for with this song, but I gotta say this is a downgrade in my opinion. Of course, I loooved their first album, Take This To Your Grave, which was kind of pop-punk/"emo," I suppose, and I haven't listened to too much of their other albums because I was always disappointed. Anyway, this kind of sucks, but I thought I'd share it in case there were any FOB fans out there who hadn't gotten wind of their new single. 
P.S. For reference, here's one of my fave songs from their first album:
Grand Theft Autumn/Where Is Your Boy Tonight
Although this isn't quite the sound I like anymore, I will still seriously jam out to this album (and all of the other ones I listened on repeat in high school)... for nostalgia's sake ;).


3. Ra Ra Riot - Binary Mind

Finally there's Ra Ra Riot. I honestly haven't listened to them too much (my freshman year roomie was a big fan), but what I've heard, I've enjoyed. I heard this song and thought it was pretty catchy and enjoyable, so I figured I'd share. They have an entire new album that came out recently, so there's definitely more where this came from if you dig it.

And that's what I've got for you this week! Definitely not my most-listened songs, but worth skipping over that to expose my dear readers to new music, right? Enjoy, my friends!

x Hilary

P.S. Are the Spotify links working for you? Would you prefer a different format? Let me know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for leaving me your lovely thoughts!