Tuesday, February 12, 2013

everywhere else, it's just another tuesday

Why yes, this is another Mardi Gras post. And it's not no silly lil' Baton Rouge post, either. It's the real deal, New Orleans style. And it's all in grainy, horrible cell phone pictures because I suck and I forgot my camera. Womp womp.

I headed down to NOLA after normal, adult person responsibilities on Friday. After a lot of time spent in the car, we finally made it to Hermes and d'Etat. Personally, I love the night parades the best, especially when I can snag some flashy, glowy throws!



The boyfriend and me with one of my fave catches ever, winged light-up headband from Hermes!

On Saturday, some friends from Baton Rouge came down for their first NOLA Mardi Gras! I was excited to play tour guide for them (although the boyfriend does most of that, anyhow, as he lives there still and always knows lots of things). I was decked out in a purple tank dress and gold lamé leggings, plus a fleur de lis and feather hair clip, of course. We went downtown in the afternoon for Endymion, which wouldn't get there until probably 6:30 or so... and luckily caught the end of Tucks! My friend got hit in the head, possibly with a doubloon, and we nursed her back to health by holding a cold beer to her forehead. Welcome to Mardi Gras!

After grabbing dinner at Angeli on Decatur (my go-to cheap eat in the Quarter, def a necessity down there in tourist land) and a frozen Irish coffee at Molly's, we headed back to the route. We finally found a decent spot and eventually wiggled to the front!


Literally all of the parades I went to this year got stuck for 30+ minutes. Lame.
 I did snag the above semi-cool picture of an Endymion float, anyhow.

After about half of Endymion, we fled the scene and attempted (semi-successfully) to escape downtown to get ready for MOM's Ball. Now, the first rule of MOM's is you don't talk about MOM's, soo you're not going to get anything but these gems of pictures. 


Turned my lion tamer costume from Halloween into a pirate costume, thanks to a sash and pirate hat! 
I loved this costume, may need another excuse to wear it ASAP.


K and G went as an 80's rocker couple. 
The costume police took away his pants 
(and texted him today to tell him they found them.. kind of hysterical).


Fun was had by all. Clearly.

On Sunday, I met up with a friend from undergrad who was celebrating her birthday on the route for Thoth. Morning parades are only really good because they are an excuse to drink mimosas. But... I did catch my very favorite throw of Mardi Gras 2013! 


A vintage-style Tulane football player bobble head! Love it. 
It lives on my desk now, in all of its semi-cute, semi-creepy glory.

Oh, you want to see my other swag? Well, okay.


Lots of light ups! Plus a moon pie, Bacchus beads from 2005 which I caught at Thoth, and seriously creepy tiger? jester? jieger? beads.


Two boas and a Payton t-shirt.


Pretty fanswagtastic crown sunglasses and jaeger beads. 
They know me so well. 

So that's that. My seventh Mardi party over and gone. I didn't go to quite as many parades as I usually do this year, partially due to bad weather, partially because I'm getting old. But I had a fab time nonetheless.

Did you celebrate Mardi Gras this year? What'd you do?




5 comments:

  1. This looks so fun! Wow-- SEVEN mardi gras?? That's impressive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And maybe a little tiring :)
      x Hilary

      Delete
  2. so jealous! NOLA is like my favorite city, i can't even imagine how awesome mardi gras would be!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Personally I always suggest people visit during NOT-mardi-gras because there are so many other wonderful things to do and places to eat! And more room to do them without a billion drunken tourists.
      x Hilary

      Delete
  3. Personally I always suggest people visit during NOT-mardi-gras because there are so many other wonderful things to do and places to eat! And more room to do them without a billion drunken tourists.
    x Hilary

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving me your lovely thoughts!