Monday, May 14, 2012

calling baton rouge

I moved to Baton Rouge last summer. In the heat of August, to be exact. And although this is not my first choice in living locales, I am slowly accepting that I am going to be here for three more years, and I need to get used to it. But I don't want to just get used to it... I want to make the most of it. So I'm going to compose a list of things I'd like to do in the city in hopes of sticking to my plan to actually enjoy living here.
  • Live After Five -- this is a weekly (free!) outdoor concert series in the spring/summer. I haven't been able to go yet because I'm usually not around and/or completely exhausted at that time, but I'm working on it! I'm changing my work schedule the next two months, so I'm hoping to make it out at least once. Maybe on June 1st for Island Fever, which is described as "Summer Party Jam" for the genre. I'm not sure what that means exactly, but it sounds great. I feel like a lil BR Lucy's Retired Surfer Bar may be appropriate beforehand, no?
  • Happy Hours/Drink Special Nights -- with me, this is a given. On my list:
    • Bravo! Italian Restaurant Bravo! Hour According to their website, enjoy $3.95 bar bites and $5 drink specials Mon-Fri 3-7 pm and 9 pm - close in the bar. (I actually went to this today -- review forthcoming, of course -- and it even includes their expansive outside patio. My friend and I will be back, preferably on a Friday because Monday is a little less than hopping.)
    • Duvic's Martini Bar This place has pretty awesome martinis. I liked the Cosmo Jewel. But they're pretty steep price-wise. So maybe a stop on Wednesday for $5 martinis.
    • This list will definitely expand in the near future after I do a lil more HH research ;).
  • Concerts -- so Baton Rouge does not have the best music scene, but I'd like to see a concert at Spanish Moon (great news, Chappo is playing for $10 in early June! and Eisley for $10 in late June! Yay!) and Chelsea's
  • Farmers Market -- I love Baton Rouge's cute Red Stick Farmer's Market, which offers everything from local honey, fruits and veggies, baked goods to potted herbs and other plants and puppies and kitties to adopt! It has such a small-town feel, and it's in the center of downtown. I highly recommend it.
  • Parks! -- It might be nice to get outdoors, and BR actually has a pretty extensive park system. They have classes, a rock wall (I think they offer free climbs!), and a great board-walked swamp (only $3) I'd love to take a picnic in (but maybe when it's less muggy and filled with mosquitoes.. so no time between February and November, geeeeze). 
  • Restaurants -- it would just be silly to ignore my very favorite places to visit, the restaurants. Although BR doesn't have the extensive options New Orleans offers, there are some pretty decent options, so here's some places I'd like to try:
    • Bread Box -- gourmet lunch restaurant? I'm sold.
    • Magpie -- this place isn't open yet, but it looks so cute already!
    • Zippy's -- I have heard good things about their margaritas. Nothing can beat Ninfa's for Tex-Mex in Baton Rouge, though (in my humble Texan opinion).
    • Another Broken Egg -- the boy and I are breakfast fiends, so this is a must. Soon.
    • J Alexander's -- this may be a bit too expensive, but a girl can dream.
    • If you're looking for good/fun restaurants here, I like Zeeland Street Market (yummy red beans and rice!), Mason's Grill (very popular brunch stop with build-your-own bloody mary bar and unlimited mimosa options, plus some serious burgers and tasty breakfast options), Tsunami (more than a little overpriced, but the ambiance is great!), Fat Cow (as mentioned in this post, and sorry, I'll stop talking about it now), Yvette Marie's (adorable gourmet lunch cafe inside a fabulous antique shop),  Burgersmith (more great, juicy burgers), Frosted, (really creative cupcake combos! including one with Dippin Dots inside, I am not kidding you. I would not lie to you about something like this.) etc.  
  • Any and all fun events -- of the likes of the recent one I missed, Hot Art, Cool Nights, and anything happening at Perkins Rowe, which is a great little shopping center that I frequent.
Well I think this is a pretty ambitious list to get me started. Live in Baton Rouge and have some suggestions? Please leave a comment!

1 comment:

  1. This is making me want to visit Baton Rouge! One day I hope :)
    Thanks so much for your sweet comment on my blog! So nice to meet you, girl!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving me your lovely thoughts!