Monday, April 9, 2012

matzoh much?

So in case you didn't know, Passover began Friday. I'm not observant, so I've been gorging myself on all carbs without discretion, as per usual. However, David is observing, so when he came into town this weekend, I thought it wise to not torture him by making homemade banana bread with dark chocolate chunks (must I remind you that I am so. nice.?).
Instead, I made an appropriate treat -- chocolate covered matzoh toffee concoction!
Usually I make this with Saltines, and it is gooood if not better that way, but since I had a whole box of matzoh, we substituted the salty crackers and used our unleavened bread instead. It worked almost as well, which you can read about below. This is a serious crowd pleaser, folks. This is the treat that I give as a gift during the holidays because it is always a hit.
We also made matzoh brei, which I had never had before. There are many ways to make it, including making a kind of dough and frying it up like pancakes. Then just add jam/jelly (we used peach) or maple syrup. We used this recipe from Epicurious, who you can also thank for the delicious picture below.
As for the chocolate toffee concoction, here's the recipe for that:

Matzoh Toffee
  • 2 1/2 sheets of matzoh (or whatever will fit nicely on your cookie sheet)
  • 1 stick butter 
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 2 cups chocolate chips (I generally use semi-sweet chocolate chips, and two cups is about a normal sized bag)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Put some aluminum foil on a baking sheet and spray it with cooking spray (Pam). 
Arrange matzoh as a single layer on the foil -- I used whole sheets, but I would recommend breaking it up into smaller (think Saltine size) pieces, so the toffee can get under it better. 
Combine brown sugar and butter in a sauce pan over medium-high heat and cook until just bubbling/boiling. Make sure it's well blended.
Pour this toffee liquid onto your matzoh, making sure it's somewhat even -- it will spread more in the oven, so it doesn't have to be perfect.
Bake for about five minutes (I'd check at four). The toffee should be bubbling and spread out all over and below your matzoh. 
Take it out and quickly pour the chocolate chips over the bubbling toffee. Wait about 30 seconds for the chocolate to start melting, then spread it with a knife, so it's even all over the matzoh. 
You can add nuts or crushed matzoh on top if you like at this point.
Put in the fridge for at least an hour (or 30 minutes if you really can't stand waiting that long). 
Store in the fridge in an airtight container if you have any left over :).

Yum yum! Enjoy these tasty matzoh treats and brag about them to your non-observant friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for leaving me your lovely thoughts!