Monday, March 21, 2011

blogs we know & love

In case you hadn't heard, dear reader, I will be going to graduate school next year. It is proving to be more financially strenuous than I had originally predicted (most programs like mine offer a tuition waiver and a stipend. Me? I get no stipend, no tuition waiver, but I do "get" to work for 20 hours per week while juggling classes, a masters thesis, clients, etc. Wow, writing that all out makes it a little less exciting and a lot more daunting.)

Anyway, at the moment, I spend the majority of my paycheck on rent and food. I go out to eat an excessive amount. Cooking irks me. I have a hard time multi-tasking in the kitchen, and I wind up burning the chicken while I'm chopping up tomatoes. And then there's cleaning. If I didn't have to clean up after myself, it might be okay. Maybe I could hire a nightly maid. I have a hard time sticking to a recipe plan for the week because I get bored. I spend so much in ingredients and wind up throwing a ton of food away because it goes bad before I can use it. Overall, cooking is quite the enemy of mine. Thus I go out to eat. All. the. time. And it's not usually fast food, which is probably better for my health but definitely worse for my wallet. It's sit-down restaurants, where I pay an extra ~30% including tax and tip. Unfortunately, restaurant eating is not cheap. This is not a lifestyle option I have for next year, when I begin my (hopefully) brief (read: four+ years) of being ridiculously poor and in debt.

So I've started thinking about cooking. Not actually cooking, but thinking is a good first step, right? (Unless that thinking includes 'Wow, you know, Louisiana Pizza Kitchen sure makes a mean bowl of fettucine alfredo, a lot better than I could do...') So next step, I have started looking at recipe sites and food blogs.

And in doing so, I found Can You Stay for Dinner? which is absolutely delightful. You must check it out. The photographs are seriously art. Art in the form of food that sounds relatively healthy and maybe, just maybe Hilary- and fool-proof. One recipe that sounds especially tasty to me is the barbecue chicken rolls. Could I replicate this recipe? Only time will tell. But I will be sure to let you know.

Barbecue Chicken Wraps

Vegetarian Lo Mein

Adorable Rainbow Cupcakes

(All photos from Can You Stay for Dinner?)

1 comment:

Thanks so much for leaving me your lovely thoughts!